Saturday, January 1, 2011

Pregnancy - 14 Weeks

In the rush of Christmas and New Year celebrations (and visiting 3 "sides" of our family), I have yet again neglected this blog. It's mostly for me, though, so I'll forgive myself and forge ahead. It's 2011 and, as I was driving to work this morning (I still have a very part-time retail job), I was thinking about how this is the first New Year's Day that I've been pregnant. Lord willing, it won't be the last. We'd like a second or third child, and now that I'm past the horrors of the first trimester (nausea, constant fatigue, moodiness), I'm beginning to think that I, indeed, could do this again. I can't believe I'm writing this, but it's the way that I feel (for now, anyway).

We got to hear the baby's heartbeat for the first time on December 27th, the Monday after Christmas. What an amazing gift that was to me -- to have the very life of our precious child confirmed by my own ears. We'd seen the heartbeat via ultrasound about a month prior, but hearing it was so amazing, so breathtaking. It sounded like "whoosh, whoosh, whoosh, whoosh," against the background of my slower "whoo---sh, whoo-sh." My husband may have cried. He's a softy and this is our first, after all.

After the appointment, we went to Barnes & Noble to return a few duplicate gifts we'd gotten for Christmas. I chose a Peter Rabbit baby book for our baby. It's so sweet and I think it'll work nicely whether the baby is a boy or a girl. My husband chose some classics to add to his collection. He is an avid reader. I wish I could say the same for myself ... but I've found that so many things demand my attention that there isn't much time for pleasure reading. Perhaps one of my resolutions should be to read more.

As I think about 2011 and what it will bring, my prayer is first of all that God will bless us with a healthy baby. It's amazing to think about how much my perspective has shifted over the last three months. I am so in love with this little person I have yet to meet, and I have so many hopes and dreams for him or her. Christmas was especially meaningful for me this year as I knew what it must have felt like for Mary as she carried her son -- our Savior. There is something so miraculous about holding another human being in your womb, and knowing God has chosen you for this task, and chosen you to be this child's parent. Honestly, I don't know what I'm doing and I don't know when I'll be ready, but I'm confident that the One who made me and knit me together in my mother's womb will do the same for this precious little one growing inside me. I know He will give me the strength and perseverance I need to get through the next six months. And I'm so excited to see what lies ahead.

Happy New Year from Lizaroo ... and our little one too!

No comments:

Post a Comment